Pantone’s Fall Winter 2022 Color Trends
With the Autumn Equinox quickly approaching on Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, everyone is already getting into the fall mood. Pumpkin spice candles and flavors, Halloween décor, spooky movie marathons, and so many more fall trends are already popping up all over social media, especially TikTok. Pantone has released their fall/winter color palette for 2022, and now the fall/winter 2022 color trends have been taking over both the fashion world and the beauty community.
- According to Pantone, the fall winter 2022 color trends are published for the fashion industry by the Pantone Color Institute, which focuses on trend forecasting and color consultancy.
- This season’s fall winter 2022 color trends report features 10 unique colors and five core classic colors that are expected to be introduced by several important fashion designers as they debut their new Fall/Winter collections this year.
- The color trends cover the whole spectrum, from deep red to yellow, vibrant orange, light pink to deep hot pink, dark green to a similar shade to sage green, browns, greys, and light to deep blue.
Pantone Fall Winter 2022 Color Trends
As described by Pantone, the fall winter 2022 color trends are “a wide-ranging mix of colors” that contrast the “co-existing desires for rest and relaxation with non-conforming exuberant expression” (1). In other words, fall and winter are two seasons usually associated with cozy blankets, hot drinks, and dark and muted colors to match the seasonal and light changes.
Despite the trends associated with fall and winter, these trends celebrate plenty of bright, vivid, and vibrant colors that normally wouldn’t be associated with the two seasons.
According to Pantone, the fall winter 2022 color trends are published for the fashion industry by the Pantone Color Institute, which focuses on trend forecasting and color consultancy (1). This season’s report features 10 unique colors and five core classic colors that are expected to make an impact on the fashion world this year. Specifically, they anticipate the fall winter 2022 color trends to be introduced by several important fashion designers as they debut their new fall/winter collections.
The color trends were chosen to illustrate "the need to break free of restraint and embrace the joy of being alive through vibrant hues expressing energy boosting vitality and the celebration of life” (1). Leatrice Eiseman, the Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute says of the color trends, “[the] hues for autumn/winter 2022/2023 enable consumers to move fluidly between a range of contrasting shades, allowing them to spontaneously express who they are and how they feel” (1).
Fall Winter 2022 Color Trend Palette
Now that you know what these colors stand for, it’s time to get into each of the colors in the Fall Winter color trend palette.
- PANTONE 18-1552: Lava Falls
Lava Falls is an impassioned orange-red with a captivating presence.
- PANTONE 14-0851: Samoan Sun
Cheerful Samoan Sun enlightens and illuminates. This color is a stunning yellow that closely resembles the shade of an egg yolk.
- PANTONE 16-1358: Orange Tiger:
The vibrant orange color is described as “a high-vis orange with whimsicality” by Pantone.
- PANTONE 17-2624: Rose Violet
Vivid and vibrant color mixed with pink and purple; appears as a darker shade of hot pink. This has been a major color in fashion this year, specifically seen in the Valentino Pink PP Collection Fall/Winter 2022-2023
- PANTONE 18-6024: Amazon
Described as a lush and fertile broadleaf green. Closely resembles a hunter-green color.
- PANTONE 14-2806: Nosegay
Described by the Pantone Color Institute as a fragrant floral pink. Closely resembles a baby, or light, bubblegum pink.
- PANTONE 14-4618: Waterspout
A light blue that appears almost teal. As Pantone describes, the color is cool and refreshing, like the color of pool water or a perfect day at the beach, reminiscent of the sky and crystal blue water.
- PANTONE 18-1148: Caramel Café
Described as “delicious", this color is reminiscent of a warm cup of coffee with a hint of milk.
- PANTONE 19-4127: Midnight
Pantone describes this deep blue color as a “hypnotic deep blue evocative of the evening sky”.
- PANTONE 18-0625: Martini Olive
A deep green tone with a small hint of brown; similar to an army green color.
While the above colors cover the Autumn/Winter 2022/2023 New York Fashion Week Color Palette, there are also the Autumn/Winter 2022/2023 Core Classics that are a bit more neutral. They are described by Pantone as “classic, seasonless hues whose versatility express longevity”.
- PANTONE 12-0602: Arctic Wolf
Described as a “softly shaded tactile white”, this color presents as a very light beige.
- PANTONE 12-0813: Autumn Blonde
Creamy, light peach color.
- PANTONE 19-4105: Polar Night
Described by Pantone as a “cosmically inspired blue hue”, this color is a dark, almost black, shade of blue that resembles a late-night sky.
- PANTONE 17-0210: Loden Frost
Pantone explains this color as an “Earth-infused green tone that calms” (1). This color presents as a lighter, true green color; similar to sage green.
- PANTONE 16-3917: Chiseled Stone
A light gray, charcoal stone color
Makeup Products for Fall Winter 2022 Color Trends
To follow the fall winter 2022 color trends, you can partake in both fashion and beauty. Here is a list of some makeup products that feature similar shades to these new color trends:
1. PANTONE 18-1552: Lava Falls
2. PANTONE 14-0851: Samoan Sun
3. PANTONE 16-1358: Orange Tiger:
4. PANTONE 17-2624: Rose Violet
5. PANTONE 18-6024: Amazon
6. PANTONE 14-2806: Nosegay
7. PANTONE 14-4618: Waterspout
8. PANTONE 18-1148: Caramel Café
9. PANTONE 19-4127: Midnight
10. PANTONE 18-0625: Martini Olive
11. PANTONE 12-0602: Arctic Wolf
12. PANTONE 12-0813: Autumn Blonde
13. PANTONE 19-4105: Polar Night
14. PANTONE 17-0210: Loden Frost
15. PANTONE 16-3917: Chiseled Stone
Written by Selena Ponton
- Image via Pantone