Top Relaxing Vacation Spots To Focus on Wellness in 2022
Burnout is real, and in today’s non-stop, hectic world, it’s tough to step back, relax, and take time to focus on yourself. But with our daily demands nagging at us incessantly, and working from home becoming increasingly more prominent, taking the time to relax is proving to be quite the challenge.
This is your sign to realize that sometimes, being unproductive is the most productive thing you can do to avoid burnout! It’s time to treat yourself, head to your dream location, and make time for some R&R on the beach with a mojito and a good book. Don’t know where to start? I’ve got you covered: here is a list of the top relaxing vacation spots to focus on wellness in 2022. (This is also your sign to book the trip you’ve been thinking about booking!)
1. Top relaxing vacation spots and resorts
2. Relaxing vacation activities
3. Resorts and getaways designed for wellness
- Relaxation is a component of wellness; wellness is defined as any behavior that has a goal of improving mental and physical well-being.
- Having relaxing activities (as well as a relaxing vacation spot) is key to promoting wellness on your getaway.
- There are inclusive luxury resorts that offer wellness amenities and accommodations to provide all the planning for you to ensure the most relaxing experience.
Top relaxing vacation spots and resorts
It’s important to note that relaxation and wellness look different for everyone, thus making it difficult to define. To start with the basics, however, rest or relaxation is defined as any behavior that is meant to improve physical or mental well-being, while wellness is interpreted as practicing healthy habits regularly to achieve better mental and physical health. They sound pretty similar tbh, but to differentiate, resting is the aforementioned “healthy habit” that contributes to wellness. In other words, relaxation is a component of wellness.
With that being said, here is a list of places I’ve found that are some of the best for fostering relaxation and, in turn, wellness! Since that looks different for everyone, I’ve tried to include quite the variety. Happy vacationing!
- Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Known for its unreal turquoise lakes, Lake Louise is perfect for hiking, skiing, sightseeing, and basking in some unbeatable weather. It truly is a hub for adventure, offering sleigh rides, kayaking, and dog sledding, just to name a few of the more obscure excursions for every level of traveler. If venturesome expeditions, or even just soaking up the scenery and amazing weather are your ideas of relaxation, Lake Louise may just be the perfect place to add to your bucket list.
- The Maldives
The World Spa Awards have declared the Maldives the top spa destination on the planet, and for good reason. As far as TLC is concerned, this dreamlike destination wins it all. To truly take advantage of some perfect pampering, book a stay at Kuramathi Maldives resort to immerse yourself in the luxury spa scene and go off the grid for a couple of days to take in all the wellness you can!
- Dead Sea, Jordan
Floating in the cobalt-blue waters of the Dead Sea is an experience not to be missed. From natural mud masks to clarifying milk baths, this vacation destination takes the idea of au naturel to a whole new level. The warm, soothing waters have been visited by some of the world’s greatest since ancient times, and the religious history and natural beauty of the Dead Sea are preserved today for an unmemorable, unplugged experience to soak in all of the R&R.
- Martha’s Vineyard, Massachusetts, US
Home to the most picturesque nature trails, soft, sandy beaches, and seaside resorts, Martha’s Vineyard is specially catered to outdoor enthusiasts and beach regulars. This super chic small town provides a little retro charm with gourmet dining and plenty of retail therapy. It offers a little bit of everything, and it is everything my Nicholas Sparks dreams and fantasies are made of! It truly is the perfect place to relax.
- Sanibel Island, Florida, US
With near-perfect year-round weather, Sanibel Island makes for an ideal vacation any time of the year. This one speaks for itself: sandy white beaches and unlimited sunshine. There is no need to plan extensive excursions or a top-notch to-do list here because the beaches, nature trails, and sunsets will provide plenty of rest and relaxation on their own. Rent (or bring!) a bike to explore this island in the best way and really soak it all in.
Relaxing vacation activities
Regardless of where you take your wellness vacation, there is access to a plethora of relaxing activities anywhere you go. Taking your vacation is all about unwinding and taking time off from your usual routine, but there is no doubt that sometimes, we go on vacation and come back even more exhausted and stressed out than before. The goal of a true wellness vacation is to return home feeling stress-free and refreshed. That requires participating in some peaceful activities during the vacay.
Here’s a list of ideas you can use to make the most of your next trip:
- Book a spa trip or massage
- A quiet walk along the beach or a hike
- Immerse yourself in the culture (my personal favorite way to do this is by signing up for a Food Tour of the destination’s signature cuisines!)
- Read a book by the water (or whatever scenery you’re surrounded by)
- Get on (or in!) the water; you can try kayaking, snorkeling, a sunset cruise, or just swimming.
- Refresh your mind with local pilates, yoga, or other fitness classes.
- Treat yourself to a luxury dining experience.
- Simply bring a relaxed mindset on the trip: prepare for the things within your control, and expect things out of your control!
In addition to these excursions, incorporating activities such as stretching, journaling, and meditation every morning or evening of your vacation can prepare your mind and body for the most soothing and peaceful experience possible, and allow you to truly reflect on your feelings and stress levels.
Resorts and getaways designed for wellness
If planning stresses you out even more, and you’re not into formulating every single detail of your vacation, there are (fortunately) resorts and getaways that are designed solely for the purpose of wellness and relaxation. Here’s a quick list of some dreamy destinations and a short list of their accommodations (there are too many to name them all!) that have relaxation written all over them.
Nayara Springs, Costa Rica- $1150 per night
- Located in Arenal Volcano National Park in Costa Rica
- Voted best hotel spa in the world
- Luxury villas
- Personalized private excursions
- Natural mineral hot springs
Washington School House Hotel, Park City, Utah- $400 per nigh
- Dreamy hot tub and pool
- Outdoor offerings include ice-skating, fly-fishing, skiing, mountain biking, and sleigh-riding
- Spa immersed in the mountains and luxurious scenery
- On-site private pilates
- Executive chef with locally sourced ingredients
SHA Wellness Clinic, Alicante, Spain- starts at $1500 for 4 days
- Three-prong wellness approach (a blend of therapies, fitness plans, and medicines)
- Tailored programs to target stress relief, fitness training, and weight loss
- Healthy Mediterranean cuisine served daily
- Located on the southeastern coast of Spain
- Indoor pools, massage benches, steam rooms, and underwater jets
Miraval Austin, Austin, Texas- $650 per night
- Nature hikes, workout classes, meditations, and water activities
- Nutrition classes and activities (and deliciously nutritious meals)
- Cypress Creek Farm on-site that provides fresh eggs and produce every morning
- Infinity pools and hot tubs (with a view)
- Life in Balance Spa that supports guests physically, emotionally, and spiritually
All in all, there are a plethora of options and opportunities out there to get a break from the hustle and bustle of reality. Remember that self-care is never selfish, it is sacred! Go out and treat yourself; you deserve it!
Written by Morgan Taylor
Tula Skincare Review: My Take on the Cult-Favorite Probiotic Skincare
How Photoshopping Pictures Online Skews Our Perception of Beauty