What’s The Deal With the Harry Styles Nail Polish Line?
I think we can all agree that Harry Styles is a man of many talents, and his most recent project, a lifestyle brand titled Pleasing, is no exception. Aside from being a heartthrob, ex-member of boy band One Direction, and an absolutely remarkable record producer, Harry is also (widely) known for his trademark manicures and unique style. Following in the footsteps of other celebs who have dropped their own beauty brands, Harry’s brand Pleasing has recently released a couple of collections of skincare, nail polishes, and apparel. That being said, it looks like Mr. Styles is just getting started. Here’s the breakdown of everything you need to know about the Harry Styles nail polish line.
- Harry Styles launched his lifestyle brand, Pleasing, at the end of 2021. The brand offers a variety of nail polish colors, apparel, and skincare products.
- Pleasing’s launches are titled Perfect Pearl and Shroom Bloom. Each set comes with four nail polish shades that can be worn alone or layered to create a customized look.
- Harry launched Pleasing as a way to enhance the natural beauty of its users and create a statement that challenges the norms of the beauty industry.
How it all started
All the way back in May 2021, Harry’s fans (and by fans I mean FBI agents?) began to speculate that Harry may have been broadening his horizons into areas outside of producing top-of-the-charts albums. A ‘Harry Styles Updates’ Twitter account (yes, they exist) posted a tweet that showed receipts of his involvement with a new company.
Shortly after, it was confirmed that Harry had filed a trademark for a cosmetics line. In his cover story for Dazed magazine, Harry explains how the brand came to be. “It was an idea I’d kind of had for a while,” Styles said, “Firstly, I just thought it would be fun but, in actuality, Pleasing is about a couple of things.” He continues by describing that the idea all started with nail polish, with the color inspirations coming from the little moments around him. Eventually, it turned into more. “I really think that the essence of Pleasing is finding those little moments of joy and showing them to people,” Styles concluded.
All in all, the brand officially launched its first micro-collection, Perfect Pearl, back on November 29, 2021. The second micro-collection, Shroom Bloom, just recently dropped on March 15, 2022, with a brand new set of apparel, skincare, and of course, nail polish colors. Let’s dive a little deeper into what each collection entails.
What’s the Deal?
The first launch, Perfect Pearl, enchantingly exploits the cosmetic concepts of illumination and radiance by aiming to highlight the natural features of its users. The first collection may be small, but it sure is beautiful. For skincare, it includes the Pleasing Pen (a dual-sided lip oil and eye serum), Pearlescent Illuminating Serum (a moisturizing, nurturing serum), and as for apparel, The Pleasing Crewneck caught everyone’s attention. The star of the show, however, was the nail polish collection.
The Perfect Polish Set consists of 4 colors:
- Perfect Pearl is a pearlized white color that has a glossy finish. It was designed to explore combinations and layers with other colors to create a personalized and unique finish, but it can also be used on its own.
- Pearly Tops is a clear shade that has an elusive iridescent, matte finish. It makes for the perfect finish to any shade underneath but happily wears as a solo shade for an au natural effect.
- Inky Pearl is the darkest shade of the set. It is a pearlescent blackish-bluish shade that has the most beautiful glossy finish. It makes for a killer solo color, but the Pleasing website notes that when topped with Pearly Tops, it effortlessly transfigures into a shiny purple shade.
- Lastly, but certainly not least, Granny’s Pink Pearls is a stunning Barbie pink shade that has a glossy finish. In a video demo, when topped with Perfect Pearl, this dreamy bright pink finishes as pale baby pink.
It is also certainly worth noting that each polish set comes with letter decals that you can apply to dry nails and finish with a top coat (Pearly Tops, perhaps?) to prolifically personalize every nail look.
As for the second launch, Shroom Bloom may have recently taken the cake. This skincare drop includes an overnight serum, as well as a hand and nail balm to keep those perfectly manicured hands hydrated and happy. Releasing another show-stopping apparel drop as well, Harry put out more Pleasing merch – this time in a wider variety of colors to meet all of your seasonal needs. As far as nail polish goes, Harry released four more unique colors to really cover all of the bases. It just keeps getting better!
- Sprouting is a pale, subtle green color, that almost looks more like a teal. It has a glossy finish and a hazy touch that makes for the perfect summer color.
- Tender Bud is a neutral beige (described as “mushroom” according to the Pleasing website) that has an opaque, glossy finish.
- The Whole Dewniverse is stunning. This one reminds us of Pearly Tops from the previous collection– the perfect layering and finishing shade to create a personalized look. It even has a bio-glitter formula to give it a hint of sparkle.
- Vine Ripe is probably the only red nail color you’ll ever need from here on out. That is all that needs to be said. But just so you can envision it: it is a vibrant, glossy, opaque red. The perfect cherry red. (If you know, you know.)
Also, the same goes for this set as the previous. Each color can be worn alone or layered, giving that unique, you-do-you vibe.
Harry’s idea for the success of Pleasing is clear: his goal was to create a platform that highlights creativity, empathy, ideas, and personalization. Ultimately, his vision to design a brand that challenges beauty norms is a novel one, but Harry believes that accentuating natural beauty and approaching the business from a more humanistic view sparks a change in the industry that he wants to explore further.
He noted, “As humans, we’re always changing. We’re always learning new stuff, and I don’t know why a company can’t operate from that same standpoint.” This most recent business venture allows him to expand and collaborate with people and ideas that he hasn’t had the opportunity to thus far.
In addition to making a bold statement in the cosmetic industry, Harry’s product line screams sustainability, as this product line was created with the lightest possible environmental footprint. So what does this mean for consumers? Rest assured that Mr. Styles *naturally* acknowledges that his products “prioritize people and the planet” and adds that there is always room to “do better.” Harry Styles’ nail polish line (in true Harry fashion) utilizes post-consumer plastics, and the compostable paper is printed with bio-sourced ink.
In conclusion, Harry Styles has always been one to challenge societal norms: especially in areas of gender and fashion. His reputation as an icon in the music industry and in his fashion choices have earned him high praise, but it has also brought about a plethora of criticism. Regardless, Pleasing was created as a reflection of his own bold image that challenges male beauty standards and cosmetic norms in general.
Harry notes, “I don’t think being beautiful or feeling beautiful is about looking good. When people are happy and glowing, they’re radiating. And that’s what I think the products do, it’s about helping you feel beautiful.” BRB, I’m going to add some sustainable nail polish and a cute crewneck to my shopping cart.
Written by Morgan Taylor