Dream Water: Is The Poor Sleep Solution Safe?
Do you struggle with insomnia? Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep? You’re definitely not alone. Problems with sleeping, including difficulty initiating and maintaining sleep, non-restorative sleep, and occasional disturbed sleep, is very common among Americans in the United States (1). In fact, 35% of adults don’t get enough sleep, 20% of teenagers get less than five hours of sleep, and 50 to 70 million people in the US suffer from one or several sleep disorders (2). With statistics like these, it’s no wonder there are so many products, remedies, and medications out there designed to help individuals get some more Zzz’s at night. That’s where Dream Water comes in.
- Experiencing problems with sleeping is common in the U.S.
- Dream Water is a consumer goods company that offers all-natural, zero-calorie sleep aids in a variety of formulations with 3 key ingredients: GABA, melatonin, and 5-HTP.
- Dream Water is overall considered safe for consumption due to the all-natural ingredients, however, there are key things to know in order to stay safe.
According to some studies, the ever-changing nature of occasional disturbed sleep, most individuals turn to over-the-counter products to improve their sleep in comparison to the 9 million Americans that use prescription drugs to help them fall asleep (2). These over-the-counter sleep aids include herbal and nutritional supplements like melatonin and now – Dream Water. But, what exactly is Dream Water? What are the ingredients? Is it safe? Here’s a breakdown of all of the answers to these questions and more.
What is Dream Water?
Dream Water is a consumer goods company that offers zero-calorie sleep aids in a variety of formulations, including single-serving liquid sleep shots, sleep powder packets that can be used in water, and even gummies (3). All products are travel-friendly and focus on promoting relaxation and restful sleep, which has made them quite popular amongst passengers on planes, trains, or those experiencing jet lag.
The product was created with the idea in mind that so many over-the-counter products and prescription sleep aids leave consumers feeling groggy or drowsy when they wake up. Instead, Dream Water wants its consumers to wake up refreshed and ready to take on their day, instead of still sleep-deprived.
The three main ingredients found in Dream Water that help induce sleep include:
This is one of the most widely known and used over-the-counter sleep supplements that is known for inducing sleep. It’s a naturally occurring hormone that plays a critical role in regulating your circadian rhythm, or your biological clock that tells you when to go to sleep and wake up (4). While melatonin may not be right for those with chronic sleeping disorders, the supplement is safe for long-term use and is considered a great alternative to other sleep aids.
Gamma-aminobutyric acid is an amino acid that acts as a neurotransmitter to block impulses between nerve cells in the brain. This may boost your mood or have a calming effect on the nervous system (4). GABA produced in the brain is important for the body’s sleep patterns by lowering the activity of nerve cells in the brain and central nervous system. Low levels of GABA in the body have been associated with anxiety, chronic stress, depression, insomnia, and difficulty concentrating.
This compound is a byproduct of the amino acid L-tryptophan which improves sleep by producing more serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that can influence the circadian rhythm and works with melatonin to maintain a properly functioning sleep-wake cycle. Studies suggest that 5-HTP may shorten the time it takes to fall asleep while also helping with stress (4).
Is Dream Water Safe?
Just like any product, there are key facts and instructions you should know and follow to ensure you’re using the product safely. One important thing you should know off the bat is that because Dream Water is a dietary supplement, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not evaluate it (5). However, that shouldn’t turn you away. Dream Water is considered safe because it’s an all-natural product. It’s also considered safe due to the number of ingredients and the type of ingredients in the product that are widely known amongst physicians in sleep diagnostics.
For example, GABA is a neurotransmitter in the brain that relates to relaxation, melatonin is a popular ingredient that works to promote sleep, and 5-HTP increases the body’s production of serotonin (5). Even though the product is not FDA certified because it’s a supplement, Dream Water is currently NSF-certified for sports programs which allow the company to sell their products to professional athletes that undertake drug testing (3). In addition, the product is fully approved by Health Canada, which is the Federal department in Canada responsible for regulating items like drugs, medical devices, consumer products, and food (3, 6).
When it comes to consuming Dream Water, here are some key do’s and don’t’s coming straight from the company itself:
- Dream Water should be consumed approximately 30 minutes before bedtime unless used for sleep on transportation or a mid-day power nap.
- It’s not recommended to consume more than 1 shot or 2 powder sticks in any 24-hour period.
- If you are experiencing long-term sleep trouble, it may be indicative of other medical issues or sleep disorders that should be consulted with a doctor. Dream Water offers an alternative from typical sleep aids on the market to promote restful sleep but is not an end-all-be-all solution for long-term problems with sleeping.
- It is not recommended for individuals under the age of 18.
- It is not recommended for pregnant individuals or nursing women.
- If you are already taking medications, consult your doctor prior to consuming Dream Water as there could be some interactions.
- It is not recommended to mix with alcohol, but the company is not aware of any clinically confirmed side effects.
- It’s not recommended to consume Dream Water while driving, operating machinery, or performing other important tasks.
- Due to factors like ease of falling asleep and body weight, Dream Water can cause more powerful effects in some people. In this case, it’s recommended to try half a shot or 1 powder stick instead.
- The company is unaware of any known adverse side effects or addictive properties (7).
Dream Water isn’t the only sleep drink product out on the market that will stop your tossing and turning. Check out these other products that use different ingredients such as lavender and chamomile:
- iChill Relaxation and Sleep Shots: iChill shots contain zero sugars and zero calories to help reduce stress and improve sleep. Ingredients include melatonin, rose hips, valerian root, and B vitamins.
- Som Sleep: This product is engineered to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep throughout the night. Ingredients include magnesium, vitamin B6, L-Theanine, GABA, and melatonin.
- Snoooze Sleep Aid Drink: Sleep aid drink that is all-natural and vegan. It contains botanical extracts from valerian, passionflower, linden flower, and lemon balm to support healthy sleep. The product has no melatonin, 5-HTP, or L-Theanine.
- Driftwell: This is an enhanced still water beverage that contains magnesium and L-Theanine.
- neuroSleep: An all vegan and gluten-free drink that promotes sleep with ingredients like L-Theanine, melatonin, 5-HTP, and magnesium.
Written by Selena Ponton
Create a Morning Ritual that Will Have a Great Impact on Your Day
Flirty and Fun Valentine's Day Makeup that Will Turn Heads